1 make more complicated; "There was a new development that complicated the matter" [syn: perplex] [ant: simplify]
2 make more complex, intricate, or richer; "refine a design or pattern" [syn: refine, rarify, elaborate]
- add difficulty or variation to; see complex.
- Don't complicate yourself in issues that are beyond the scope of your education.
- to expose involvement in a convoluted matter.
- John has been complicated in the affair by new tapes that
- The DA has made every effort to complicate me in the scandal.
- John has been complicated in the affair by new tapes that surfaced.
add difficulty or variation to
- Feminine plural form of complicato.
accelerate, add, adjoin, affix, agglutinate, aggravate, annex, append, attach, ball up, beef up, blow up, burden, concentrate, condense, confound, confuse, conjoin, consolidate, decorate, deepen, derange, disarrange, disorder, double, embrangle, encumber, enhance, entangle, exacerbate, exaggerate, foul up, garble, glue on, heat up, heighten, hitch on, hop up, hot up, implicate, infix, intensify, involve, jazz up, join with, jumble, key up, knot, louse up, magnify, make complex, make unintelligible, mess up, mix up, muck, muck up, muddle, mystify, obfuscate, obscure, ornament, paste on, perplex, plus, postfix, prefix, put with, ramify, ravel, redouble, reinforce, saddle with, scramble, screw up, shadow, sharpen, slap on, snafu, snarl, snarl up, soup up, step up, strengthen, subjoin, suffix, superadd, superpose, tack on, tag, tag on, tangle, triple, unite with, upset, whet